Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Sullivan’s Black Forest Angry Orphan Oatmeal Stout: Review


Sullivan’s Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA
5.2% abv
31 IBU’s
$4 a pint
$10 growler refill
They refilled my 32 oz growler for 5 bucks on the Angry Orphan

I am on my way to Traverse City Michigan and I stopped by the town of Frankenmuth to review a few beers at the two local breweries, then go to the Bavarian Inn to see Marty Viers and enjoy his music and spend the night.

I am sitting here at the Black Forest Brew Haus while the wife is running the dogs back to the motel room to feed them.  I enjoyed the X-Day IPA, Pirate’s Porter and now I am ready to try this Oatmeal Stout.  I filled my 32 oz growler up with the Angry Orphan; bought a pizza to go and headed back to the motel. 

At the motel I am using their fine hotel room glassware. 

Appearance: poured a black body with a thin dark tan head that disappeared before I could blink.

Aroma: I could smell the mild coffee and roasted grains as I poured the stout into the glass.  Mild bouquet overall.

Flavors: this reminds me of Pirate’s Porter with half the flavor (don’t worry Pirate’s Porter had tons of coffee and burnt grains to spare) and a touch of carbonation is added.  Mild coffee, roasted grains, rich malt, 90% dark chocolate like dry bitter bite

Mouthfeel: soft carbonation, light fizzy feel on the tongue, no syrupy feel, moderate bitter note (31 IBU), dry feel on the mid and finish, long lasting dark roasted grains linger on the palate

To the Point: I did not ask them but, this seems like a Dry Irish Stout with a low abv, medium body, thin rather than syrupy feel. A tasty stout – I like some of their other stouts (from the past) better.  I like the Porter of course and they always have that on tap.

I am looking forward to stopping by Sullivan’s in the future for another round of tasty brews.  

No comments:

Post a Comment