Sunday, June 6, 2010

Arcadia Ales - Angler’s Ale, IPA, Hopsmouth, and Big Dick’s Olde Ale

This is a review of four ales by Arcadia Brewing Company, Battle Creek, Michigan.

Angler’s Ale, IPA, Hopsmouth, and Big Dick’s Olde Ale are the four to be reviewed.

First up: Angler’s Ale is a 5.4% abv English Style Pale Ale. It has a slightly burnt orange color with a nice white head. The aroma is a plain pale ale smell, little malty-grainy with a faint hint of hops, nothing special. There is a nice little grainy-malt sweetness followed by a moderate spicy and floral hoppy twang. The texture is a little dry which is to be expected and there is a mild bitterness that lingers on the palate. This ale is not complex or robust but, has a nice English Style Pale Ale taste that makes it very drinkable.

Next, Big Dick’s Olde Ale! I think I would have a difficult time ordering another one of these at the pub. “Hey bartender, give me another Big Dick’s.” I don’t have a problem ordering another Red Snapper when I am at Arbor Brewing Company though. Enough of dirty talk in beer language.

The body has a burnt amber color with a tan head. There is a noticeable aroma of sweet malts and yeast. The taste is very interesting. The sweet caramel and bready characteristic hits the palate and then the hops kick in with some floral bitterness. I like the semi-sweet malty taste with the dry finish that is followed with some hoppy tartness and a good earthy quality. There is also a dried dark fruit like quality (raisins). As this ale warms up – I am warming up to the ale myself. I think I like this. To me it has a good robust style without being overly powerful. I feel a little of the alcohol warmth on the palate. Be careful, because this ale sports an 8% abv, it will sneak up on you. But really, I am not going to review the Busch beer! I just wish I brought a bottle of Red Snapper from Arbor Brewing.

India Pale Ale is up to bat. Let me set the record straight, I am not a big fan of IPA’s. With that said, I have to admit that I do like this one. It has the right amount of citrus bite to the taste profile with a nice earthy backbone. This ale has a 5.9% abv. The carbonation is good. For an IPA it may not be big enough but, for an IPA wimp like me it is just fine.

Finally the HopMouth Double IPA, which has an 8.1% abv. A nice looking amber color to the body and the aroma is not too far from the taste. This Double IPA, of course, has that piney grapefruit tartness right up front. I do not notice any sweetness. This is not as overpowering as I thought it would be. I actually have to admit that I like this ale. One reason why that is, the grapefruit bitter quality does not overwhelm my palate. Some of those big IPA ruin my taste buds for the day.

I have never sampled these beers before and I have to say that I really enjoyed all four of these beers. They are all worthy of trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment