Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wychcraft Blonde, Fiddler’s Elbow, Hobgoblin Dark Beer: Reviews

Here is a review of three beers from Wychwood Brewery. First up is the Wychcraft Blonde Beer. Second is Fiddler’s Elbow and third will be Hobgoblin. All three come in a nice looking 500ml bottle.

Wychcraft Blonde Beer by: Wychwood
This 4.5% abv beer has a hazy looking golden color to the body. There is citrus on the nose and in the taste. A moderate citrus taste with a biscuit type note and a soft floral feel. The hops or malts are not overdone here. Making a pleasing balance between bitter and sweetness. Now, this is not a complex beer to me but, it is a nice beer to drink.

My wife and I gave the thumbs up to the Blonde Beer.





Fiddler’s Elbow by: Wychwood
Amber in color with very little head. This beer has a mineral earthy flavor along with a slight citrus twang. The malts have a toasty or nutty taste. To me I get too much of a watery style to this beer. Overall, my wife and I are not too impressed with this beer.






Hobgoblin Dark English Ale by: Wychwood
This 5.2% abv has a reddish color to the body. I was hoping for a dark brown color since the label reads, Dark English Ale. The label also talks about ‘chocolate, toffee malt flavour … fruity … .’

This beer is pretty uneventful after reading that label. I do not get any chocolate at all, ok, maybe a few times I think it might have been a weak milk chocolate at that. Nice toasted toffee malt style but, nothing to write home about. Fruit? Fruit? Really now. I could be sold on a slight nutty profile. I just don’t find this beer interesting at all. And the Misses, she said the same thing. Not too often we agree on beer but we did tonight.

I think this bottle of Hobgoblin might be older. The other two bottles have the web site listed as www.wychwood.com and the Hobgoblin bottle has www.wychwood.co.uk . There are no freshness dates on any of the bottles. I think I’ll keep the eye out for a fresher bottle of this Hobgoblin just encase it is better than this bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment