Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ommegang Witte: Review


“Worth the wheat”
Wheat ale with traditional Spices

5.1% abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$6.99
Brewery Ommegang
Cooperstown, New York, USA
Part of the Duvel Family
This helps to understand the Belgian influence.

Remember to roll these big bottles gently on their side to stir-up the sediment.  A lot of the flavors are found in that sediment and your dose of vitamin B.  Now, I know this bottle and some others say, to pour slowly and do not disturb the yeast sediment.  Do whatever you like but, be ready for that last glass to be full of sediment no matter what. 

Appearance: now I know where they got the color from on the bottle label … it’s the same color as the ale.  Dull yellow-gold. Thin white head.

Aroma: If there is any it must be very light wheat.  Let’s see how the nose is when the ale warms up. 

The best the aroma is going to get is a Belgian yeast smell.  Oh, a little nutty yeast.  My God this beer takes it time to open up.  Now, I am picking up that lemon grass on the nose with some herbal notes.  The yeast is funky nutty yeast. 

The nose on my last glass is the best: Lemon grass, dusty wheat, and a soft touch of coriander. 

Flavors and Mouthfeel:  Okay, this is too basic, maybe it has not warmed up.  It is very crisp and refreshing and it seems like it wants to have flavor but, it is holding back on me.  I’ll let it sit for a while to warm up.

Uhm, nice light yeast and lemon grass.  

Right when I started to notice some herbal tones on the nose it started show on the taste.  My burp just tasted like lemon grass.  Dusty earthy wheat, lemon grass, herbal, is that a bad mixture of clove and coriander on the taste? It is not a clear spice – it is a muted mixture that I don’t find appealing.  Now, I want to go back to the yeast and lemon grass taste only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment