Friday, October 1, 2010

Spaten Oktoberfest UR-Marzen and Beck’s Oktoberfest Faceoff

Spaten Oktoberfest
12 oz. bottle
5.9 abv
Spaten-brau
Munich, Germany
My Strength Rating: 4

Beck’s Oktoberfest
12 oz. bottle
5% abv
Brauerei Beck & Co.
Bremen, Germany
My Strength Rating: 4

These two look alike when poured into the glass and I am talking about the color. Both are of a bright bronze color and you could not tell the difference when riding by on a galloping horse. When held to the light there is a slight difference. So one is copper and the other is bronze – who cares. The head on the Spaten was poured on the thin side and the color was off-white. The head on the Beck beer was thick and foamy with a tan looking color and it stayed around for the party.

I thought this was going to be easy on this faceoff. I have had these before and I buy both of them every year at this time. But, I have always liked the Spaten over the Beck’s. Doing a quick sip of each to compare them it is hard to tell the difference. Both have that sweet malty grainy style with a touch of caramel and some herbal hoppy spice. Now, let me take my time to break each one down.

Spaten: A nice rich and sweet malty presence. It is light and lively on the mouthfeel. There is a slight herbal spice Oktoberfest style taste. This beer is not to complex or super special but, it is a good classic Oktoberfest beer.

Beck’s: A good caramel malty profile with a light and lively mouthfeel as well. The spice is similar to the Spaten but, I think it is slightly different. Another good classic Oktoberfest style beer.

Okay, I like both of these. That is probably why I buy both every year. I don’t think I can no longer say that I like one better than the other.

Both are very drinkable and do not leave a metallic or astringent taste.

Buy both! Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment