Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Brugse Zot

Who is Brugse Zot


Party Boy Today
6% abv.
11.2oz bottle
Br. De Halve Maan
Brugge, Belgium

The Brugs
Brugse is a 6% abv ale that pours a hazy golden color with a soft beige colored head. It leaves some nice lacing on the glass and the fine foam seems to be always present floating atop the ale. There is always nice sediment floating around that adds to the hazy look of this ale. That sediment is the living yeast that was added just before bottling – don’t worry, it is good for you. The aroma has a sweet bready nose. The taste can be on the complex side, with its sweet-sour taste with some nice spice, white pepper undertones and citrus flavors. The hops give me a nice grassy, spicy and lemon-like bitterness that is not overwhelming. The citrus profile tells me this would be a good blond to enjoy on a summer day. The sweetness mingles well, letting me know that the malts are doing their job too.

I took my friend Brugse Zot to a party today. The hot summer day seemed to be just right for this blond ale. I have had a few too many pilsner type beers on these hot days and thought it was time for some more flavor.

Must try

Who is Brugse Zot

A Woodsman Tonight

Looking at reading my description of this ale I thought I should get a good mild cigar with a solid woody taste profile. I enjoyed this ale this evening with an Indian Tabac Classic Corojo Chief Cigar.

The taste profile of the ale really helped to elevate the flavors of this cigar. This was a nice pairing.

1 comment:

  1. Bruce: I just found your blog through a Google search for Brugse Zot beer. I was lucky enough to visit the Henri Maes brewery in Bruges a year ago - and this beer is delicious! Do you know where/how I can get it in Canada?

    ReplyDelete