Monday, July 4, 2011

Founders KBS – Kentucky Breakfast Stout: Review

Happy Fourth of July

The Amazing Kosmicki’s Highly Acclaimed KBS
A Stout Ale Aged in Oak Bourbon Barrels
11.2% abv
12oz founders stubby bottle
70 IBU’s
$? No price on the bottle

On this rainy afternoon I thought I would take some time to do something different, how about a stout and a cigar review.  After all I have been doing a lot of ales, lagers and pilsners. 

Appearance: black lovely body with a firm one finger tan head that takes its time going down and then with each sip from her tulip shaped lips she leaves some nice lacing behind enough lacing to get a grown man in trouble with his wife. 

Aroma:  nice toasted malt sent and freshly ground coffee nose.  Every now and then while drinking I pick up an oaky note.

Flavors: oh, the flavors.  This is beer heaven.  All the notes are rich so, let’s get that out of the way.  Wonderful and bold dark roasted coffee, 90 to 95% dark chocolate goodness (and I love dark chocolate), vanilla bean and toasted grains with a nice touch of oak.  When I am sipping this ale I do not directly taste bourbon but, I get the feel of it – warmth (see mouthfeel).  I personally don’t like the direct bourbon interpretations. 

Mouthfeel: thick, a touch syrupy, creamy, silky smooth in texture, warm on the palate and I think my body temperature went up a degree or two, low (none) carbonation which adds to the very good creamy style. 

My Strength Rating: 9 – anything that brings your body temperature up a few degrees is on the full side.  Solid complexities, long lingering aftertaste. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love their Breakfast Stout, and I'm just dying to try the KBS. Seems its not that easy to find!

    ReplyDelete