Saturday, October 2, 2010

Ommegang Abbey Ale

8.5% abv
12 oz bottle
Brewery Ommegang
Cooperstown, New York, USA
My Strength Rating: 6

This Belgian style Dubble Abbey pours a dark caramel like color with a fine tan head. It was easy to pour a two finger head. The nose has some dark fruits and good sweet malts. The taste is surprising Dubble Abbey Ale like. I have not seen this one before so, I do not know what to expect. The malty notes have a sugar like sweetness that is very pleasing and mix well with the rich roasted caramel malts. I like the dark fruit like character that adds some body to the ale. There is a fancy raisin and dark cherry profile. I notice a little bit of a 50% dark chocolate like note. There is some good complexity going on here – at times I want to chew on this beer. The carbonation level is just right and helps to clean the palate from the malts and leaves my mouth with a dry winy feel.

I was thinking, how an American brewery can get this sooo close to a Belgian Dubbel – well – the answer is on the bottle! “Part of the Duvel family of fine ales.” It was a ‘ringer’.

This Abbey Ale would be very good with a New York Strip Steak. I think I’ll make dinner plans.

Buy: yes

No comments:

Post a Comment