Sunday, October 6, 2013

Schwartz: Review

Schmohz Brewery
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA


Schwarzbier Black Lager
5.6% abv
$11.99 a six pack
No date on the bottle

This beer was not kept properly in the party store.  It was on the shelf and not in the cooler.  You can see the label (above) and it says, 'Keep Refrigerated' on the bottom right.  I wrote to Schmohz about their Pilsner being suspect and they replied right away, even on a Sunday.  Chas was very helpful.

I am watching a Detroit Lion football game here on this Sunday afternoon and I thought I would try the Schwartz by Schmohz Brewing today for some reason.


Appearance: Okay, this company must use Champagne carbonation – I poured a glass of the John T. Pilsner last night and that beer had a four finger head that just would not go away – today I pour this one and I get a 3 finger head on a very light and easy pour.  Dark cola like body with a mountain of butter pecan colored saving cream textured head.  10 minutes later I can now try to take a drink without getting a nose full of foam.  No it is not breweries fault - it is the stores fault for not properly storing the beer.  Their beers are unpasteurized and when not stored properly (in the cooler) this is what you get.    

Aroma: dark roasted malts;

Flavors: slightly burnt toasted grains; tart burnt cranberry dark chocolate; 

I would like to try this fresh

Mouthfeel: over-zealous carbonation; the fizz just dominates the palate – I think it takes away from the flavors; lightly bitter on the mid and it has a bitter burnt note on the finish;  

Damn, I poured this bitch at the start of half time and now they are 8:00 minutes into the third quarter and there is still a one to two finger head sitting on top of the beer.   By the way: Packers 6; Detroit 3.  The high powered offense is showing – Can I take a nap now. 



To the Point: I think this Schwartz beer is just like the Schwartz coach of the Detroit Lions – I just don’t know if I like either one of them.  Damn, I bought a six pack of this beer.  I guess I’ll have to drink one of these beers during the next five Lions games.  This way I’ll have a legit reason to have a bitter taste in my mouth.  I’ll skip this one.  For 12 bucks a six pack you can do a lot better than this.  Grade: C- even for uncared for beer - When I get a fresh one I'll do a new posting.  

This beer did teach me one thing: It's not all about head.  Damn.

Also, for us customers, when buying beers off the shelf we need to check their labels.  


No comments:

Post a Comment