Thursday, August 26, 2010

Shiner Hefeweizen

5.4% abv
12 oz bottle
Spoetzl Brewing
Shiner, Texas, USA

This hefe pours a solid hazy golden color. If you don’t have that hazy look then you did not get that yeast into your glass. The aroma was kind of uneventful for what I was expecting. On the label it says it is brewed with orange and lemon peels – with honey added. I thought the aroma was grainier and wheat like with a little citrus.

The main tasting profile here is the citrus. The lemon flavor just seems to build as I drink this glass of beer. There is some spice, no clove, and a good earthiness from the mixture of wheat and grains. There is a hint of sweetness but, I don’t know if I can taste honey per say. Sorry, no banana.

The company recommends putting a lemon wedge in the glass. I don’t have a fresh lemon to give it a try but, I think it may help this hefe. Overall, I can say it is okay to good. It starts off good and goes down to okay because of the lemon rind note dominates the taste by the end of this beer.

Buy: Buy one bottle to see if you like it or not before you buy a six pack. If you like lemon – buy a 12 pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment