Monday, November 15, 2010

Kapittel Tasting Day #2 - Pater Ale

Padilla Achilles Corojo Salomon & Kapittel Pater Ale
{Reposted from CigarPostings2 blog: dated 2-27-10}
The Cigar
Wrapper: Habano-seed Corojo
Filler: Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican
Size: 7 x 58
Strength rating: 4.5/5
This cigar has a nice spice profile with a sweet cedar and slight almond taste but, nothing overpowering. To me it’s nothing spectacular either. If I gave out grades for cigars it would be a B- and sometimes I think of C+, making it one of my least favorites out of the Padilla line-up.

The Pater Brown Ale
This 6% abv ale sports a reddish-brown color with lots of yeast sediment. Save that last inch of ale to swirl it in the bottle to pickup that sediment and pour it into your glass. This ale was ‘made for the guests of the abbey and for everyday consumption’ according to globalbeer.com.

The nose has a sweet malty character and the taste is the same. It also, has some fruit (pear and raisin?) with a faint hoppy undertone. Nothing overwhelming in its character and the aftertaste is just a slight sweet feel on the mouth. To me it lacks any depth or complexity. My strength rating is a 4.5/5.

The Pairing
I paired these two up before and I was quite pleased with the pairing. The sweet cedar wood notes blend well with the sweet malts from the ale. I enjoyed the cola caramel taste of the ale while smoking the cigar. ‘Sweet’ is not a favorite of mine but, this pairing is enjoyable to me. I think the ale really helps this cigar and this cigar really helps this ale. The slight spice and mild nutty flavor of the cigar balances well with the fruit and fine carbonation of the Pater Ale. Even though these two lack complexity they still work well together. I wonder what would change with the ale if the cigar had a little more complexity.
While drinking the 11.2 oz bottle of ale and smoking this salomon shaped cigar, the two gave me a mouthfeel experience of a 4.5 for each. I did like this pairing and I am surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment