Friday, January 20, 2012

Shorts Brew Black Cherry Porter: Review


Brewed with Black Cherry Puree
Short’s Brewing Company
Elk Rapids, Michigan, USA
7% abv
58 IBU’s
Made in October

I made some chili with this the other week.  The recipe called for water and to me that means a good tasty ale, porter or stout instead.   

Make sure to swirl the last couple of inches in the bottle to stir up the sediment.  I swirled that damn bottle till the cows came home and there still was sediment on the bottom of that darn bottle.  Swirling the bottle not only gets the sediment mixed in, but also helps to give it a little better head.


Appearance: pretty much a black body with brown, ever so slightly, around the edges.  The deep tan head looked like whipped mousse by the time I was done swirling that bottle so much.  Syrupy like legs drip on the glass with each sip.

Aroma: dark roasted coffee and dark bitter chocolate notes with of course dark cherries.

Flavors: a bit of a syrupy dark cherry taste that dominates the 90% like dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee.  The three different hops used in this Porter adds a nice bitter tone that helps to balance the five different malts.   

Mouthfeel: low carbonation, almost creamy and almost syrupy and almost stout like – no it is stout like, bitter note on the mid and late palate, long lingering sweet cherry and roasted grains,

My Strength Scale: 8.5 – full bodied porter

To the Point: I remember buying the six pack and trying the first bottle that night.  I was not too thrilled.  The black cherry, which can come across a little medicinal like, was too dominating for me.  I had my next bottle after have a meal and the palate was ready to handle a fuller bodied porter like this.  I felt this porter going on me.  This Porter is not for everyone.   

Have yourself a big steak dinner and then pour yourself a bottle of this Black Cherry Porter by Short’s Brewing and enjoy an after-dinner treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment