Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Frankenmuth Imperial Stout 2013: Review


Brewmaster’s Select
Russian-American Style Stout
Frankenmuth Brewing Company
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA
1quart 1.8oz bottle
10% abv
76 IBU's
Review Date: 3-8-13

1313 bottles made and I have bottle number 0125.

Stouts are usually brewed as an ale but, Frankenmuth brewery made this as a lager.  They brewed it back in February of 2012 and let it sit for a year to age. 

This beer is all about the packaging.  What a great looking bottle and label.  They had three bottles left and I bought two of them. 


I have a love hate relationship with this brewery.  I love their building, the food is pretty good, and the beer … well … sometimes it is good at best and sometimes I hate it.  I do like their Pilsner.  It is very good. 

A nifty way to carry this bottle
Appearance: black body with a one finger tan head that leaves some lacing and has some legs dripping on the glass. 

Aroma: light vinegar smell and not much else.  This is nothing like an Imperial Stout.

Flavors and Mouthfeel: it is lager like, light to medium in body, thin in flavors, some light roasted notes and that vinegar taste.  I have never had an Imperial Stout that has this vinegar taste.  I am not picking up any hops.  They give it a 76 IBU rating but, it is really not in play here.  No carbonation; somewhat smooth; too clean of a feel for an Imperial; the alcohol is not a factor except maybe how I feel;

To the Point: this tastes like an Oud Bruin but no fruit.  This is pretty uninteresting and I am pretty disappointed.  I wonder if they would take the other bottle back.  But, the bottle is great looking and their building is very nice.  I am going to have to give up on this brewery.  I’ll just stay with their Pilsner.  

My dogs even fell asleep on this review.  


No comments:

Post a Comment