Saturday, February 8, 2014

Biere du Boucanier Red Ale: Review

Van Steenberge
ICOBES B.V.B.A.
Evergem, Belgium


7% abv
11.2 oz stubby bottle
Style: Belgian Pale Ale on BA site / red or brown ale on globel beer site

I reviewed this ale back in 2012 – once again I just cannot believe I did not review this ale sooner.  I have great memories of drinking the Boucanier line-up back in summers of 2008 and 2009.  When I started blogging in 2010 I remember drinking them then – but no reviews to be found – weird. 

Appearance: caramel amber body with a finger and a half of bone white head; no lacing


Aroma: sweet malts, lightly candied summer fruits mixed with a hint of tropical fruit, yeast,

Flavors: sweet malts up front with a mix of mild grassy hops; the fruity notes are not discernable to me; sweet summer fruit, hint of sweet citrus, touch of candied tropical; let me give it my best here with the fruit – sweet pear and apple mixed with sweet tangerine or clementine and a hint of candied pineapple/red banana; mild grassy hops? I don’t know – maybe sweet hay but I’ll have to ask Mr. Ed on that (Mr. Ed is the talking horse show from the 60’s);

Mouthfeel: low carbonation for a smooth slightly creamy sweet feel; it is on the sweet side of the tracks but the mild hops do a great job keeping it in check but not standing out; it is an elegant Belgian Ale non the less;


To the Point: Red ales are not on the top of my list but, this is no American Red Ale; Damn this is one quality ale whatever you want to call it – Red Ale, Brown Ale (No), Amber Ale (No), Belgian Pale Ale – fits it best; I think I might have to put this on my top shelf list




No comments:

Post a Comment