Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Leinenkugel’s Hoppin’ Helles Review

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, USA


I have had this in the fridge since the beginning of the year (March?). I even remember buying the six pack out of the Port Austin Market.  Guess it is time to drink the last one.  I believe that this ale is retired and they made Helles Yeah in its place.  It still should be good.

Appearance: crystal clear golden body with a one finger white head that leaves a few sheets of lacing on the glass.

Aroma: light aromatic hops on the nose with lager like notes;


Flavors and mouthfeel: mild hop bitterness that reminds me of dry orange peel spice; a little herbal sour dough biscuit on the mid palate; dry hops on the mid and finish; dry grainy malts swirl around; dry hops linger on the palate; low-moderate carbonation; light maybe light-medium body;

To the Point: I did not write any notes back when I had the other 5 bottles of this six pack but, I do remember that I did like it.  Now that I have had the Helles Yeah Ale I have to say that I like this on better.  Helles Yeah was too shallow – lacked character.  I’ll give the Hoppin’ Helles a solid B grade and the Helles Yeah a C+  


No comments:

Post a Comment