Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Bornem Double: Review

Van Steenberge
Ertvelde, Belgium


8% abv
11.2oz bottle
The Global Beer website is worth a visit.

Looking for a Christmas gift for that beer drinker.  Pickup this six pack variety pack by Van Steenberge. 


I reviewed this beer back in 2010 and thought it was ok to good.  This bottle does have a new label since that last review of mine. 

Appearance: dark brown body, as brown as my leather chair in the background, deep mahogany highlights; a creamy 2 finger light tan head that leaves plenty of lacing on the glass


Aroma: nothing special here; caramel and light toasted malts

Flavors: following the nose, dark caramel and light sweet toasted malts; sweet raisins and fig; with a touch of hoppy bitterness on the finish;

Mouthfeel: satin like feel and the fine effervescence adds to the experience; light toasted malts; light-moderate sweet dark fruits; medium body; easy to drink;

To the Point: nothing special overall but, damn I like; pleasing to drink because of its simplicity; sometimes those double abbey ales get too sweet and cloying;

For some reason this is an easy one to overlook.  I have to admit that I forgot about this ale.  I think I’ll have to buy a couple of four packs so I can enjoy this ale with a fine cigar.


Pair this with a cigar that has a coffee and earthy profile.  Tonight I am enjoying this one with a Camacho 6/60 Triple Maduro Cigar.


No comments:

Post a Comment