Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Crispin the saint Artisanal Reserve: Review

Crispin Cider Company
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Unfiltered
Natural Hard Apple Cider
Belgian Trappist Yeasts and organic maple syrup
6.9% abv
22oz bottle
$5.99 from Lager Mill in Frankenmuth

I have to admit that the maple syrup has me worried.  The last cider that had maple syrup in it was too sweet for me.  Let’s see how it goes.

Oh, one more point.  I have a real problem with this brand.  When you read the label it says, “…apple juice blend, not from concentrate…”  and then you go and read the ingredients and what does it say, (forth ingredient in) “apple juice concentrate…”  The owner of this company must be a congressman or women or someone that is running for President.

Make sure to swirl the bottle to stir up the yeast.

Appearance: hazy white grape fruit juice – or we could call it – hazy straw. If it pours clear you did not get the yeast stirred up off the bottom of the bottle.

Aroma: apple juice for sure, pear, maybe a little yeast, very light bouquet

Flavors and Mouthfeel: sweet and a little tart is what my wife has to say; I’ll call it a sweet on the deliver and acidic on the mid and finish; watery pineapple juice like; pear and apple; I cannot pick out the maple syrup; the cider does have a very sweet note and is balanced some by the acidic structure. 

I think the herbal – floral note shows up a little bit when the cider warms up

To the Point: both my wife and I like this cider.  It is sweet but, not overly sweet were I have to water the grass with it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment