Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Hawaiian MoonFish Sample

Hawaiian Moonfish
Westborn Market in Livonia
$20.00 a pound

I saw this fish and I had to buy a half pound to try it.  It is a meaty fish similar to swordfish. It has a rich taste like Blue Marlin. They said it has a steak like taste on the front with a tuna taste on the finish.


I sprinkled a little Tuna Spice from the Spice Merchants in Ann Arbor.  I did not put much on for I want to get the idea of the fish itself.


I used these three different sauces to see what would work best.  It is recommended to broil, bake, saute, smoke, or steam this fish.


I poured a little of each sauce on a plate and dipped the fish into the sauce. I liked the Orange Balsamic the best followed by the Bayou Bourbon Glaze and the Apple Glaze.  I am going to do a filet of this fish with the Tuna Spice, Orange Peel and the Orange Balsamic when I can get this fish again.


You can see the meaty style of the fish in the pic below. I pan fried the filet in plain olive oil. It had a firm yet very moist texture.  I have to agree with their description of the taste of the fish.  A hint of beef steak on the front and tuna on the back; there may have been a hint of citrus in the mix.


A very tasty fish.  Real similar to swordfish in texture.  Lots of oils in the fish making it a very moist.

60 to 200 pounds
Next week: Hawaiian Blue Marlin - and this is one GREAT tasting fish. The best I have ever had.


No comments:

Post a Comment