Saturday, November 2, 2013

Thunder Trail ESB: Review

Arcadia Brewing Company
Battle Creek, Michigan, USA


English Style Ale
ESB – Extra Special Bitters
6% abv

ESB’s are not one of my favorites. Don’t be misled with the name Extra Special or Extra Strong Bitters.  To me there is nothing ‘special’ or ‘strong’ about it. I find them to be on the one dimensional boring side of town. Now, this is my opinion, if find them to have a hay/grassy hop style and a lightly sweet and toasted malt tone. Other than that, nothing much to talk about as far as I am concerned. 

While I do find them to be boring, I like them with food.

Appearance: glowing muddled amber body with a half finger off-white head; no sticky lacing on the glass


Aroma: dry grass hops; light roasted note

Flavors: the dry grass style dominates; lightly sweet roasted earthy malts; what I would call – typical

Mouthfeel: moderate bitterness; a sour-bitterness on the aftertaste; moderate-low carbonation; dry earthy feel; medium in body;

To the Point: nothing special about this ESB; it’s nice; would be good with a sandwich;


The Michigan vs Michigan State game is today and here is my call: State 31 to Michigan 10


No comments:

Post a Comment